The Brindavan campus completes 50 years of its existence. The glory of Brindavan darshans started way back in 1964 and anyone who has seen Swami during that period, they say that the kind of sweetness that you experience during darshans, the kind of closeness that you felt with Bhagawan during that era was something else!! And we have today, Subramanium Sir, who has had the opportunity to see Swami in the 70s and after that been blessed with a chance to serve in His college for more than 40 years now. So Sir, if you can take us back to those days of Brindavan. If you remember, how it was to see Swami in the 60s and the 70s and of course, in the old bungalow days.
– Sairam! – Let me tell you a story…
– Okay! – Can see the Brindavan gate?…
– Yes – The silver gate? Right outside that, a person was standing, waiting for some one, apparently. A Westerner comes from darshan ground, approaches him and asks him, “Sir, can you speak English?” – Okay.
– That person to whom he addressed turns out to be the Principal of this college and the Professor in English. – O… Okay!
– Of Brindavan college… So he smiled and said, “Yes, I do!” – Yes.
– The other person said, the foreigner said, “I had a… the voice inside told me that I should speak to you. -Okay!
– That’s why I came to you!” And this professor, B. Narendra —he says, “Oh, you must be the person, Bhagawan Sathya Sai Baba said that you’ll come to meet me!
– Oh wow! He said, “You are the lecturer who will come to meet me!” Frank Baranowski was frankly taken aback! He said, “How did this man, Baba knew that I am a lecturer and I have given more than 9,000 lectures. How did He know?”
-Ah… “Oh, there must be some thing!” And that’s how the story of the aura begins. – Okay… He introduces himself as a person, a scientist who has studied auras. He was gifted with this… ability to see auras of every human being even as a baby… – Haa…
which people around could not understand. They thought it’s some… something, some witch craft or he was possessed or something. So he learnt to keep quiet. But after he grew up, he studied, he understood what it was, he started studying this aura in great detail. He also is credited with inventing a camera called Kirlian… camera which can take photographs of auras —human auras. So to cut a long story short, he found that the aura is nothing but a… what do you call… a… surrounding… a light surrounding a human being, a contour of light… – Yes
– that reflects a mental attitude of a person and also indicates a health of that person. The aura contains a variety of colours — red indicates anger which is predominant in many people. … A good color blue indicates deep spirituality. – Wow!
– And pink color which is rare that indicates love… Not just ordinary love, selfless love! – Pure love selfless… A person with pink aura is capable of pure love… And also another 2 colours which he mentions that these are… no like we… as he was explaining like that, he… he was told by… Bhagawan sent word… Baba sent word that he should address the students in the evening… talk to the students. So in the evening, there was bhajan in this Kalyana Mandapam. There all the students and teachers were seated. Swami asked Frank Baranowski to speak. So, he told all this story and he continued. He said “Apart form these 2 colours, pink and blue, which he found in Baba… a level which is not found in any human being”.
– Ha. – “40, 50 ft thick”
-Haa… – “away from Baba” – Ha
– This pink color. – Ha. He says, ” I’ve gone round the World. I’ve visited Presidents. I’ve visited great political leaders, great spiritual leaders. I’ve visited the Pope”. -Hm.
– “So many people I have seen. Never I have seen in the case of Baba, the aura bounces along with Him as He walks”.
-Oh wow! – “It expands and shrinks”. – Aha…
– “And when He comes for darshan, when He moves round the people, this aura reaches out and goes and envelopes each and every one’s aura. Not only that, that aura which has various colours, they are all transformed into an aura of pink. That is what darshan means!” -Wow!
– That is the impact of darshan or may be, what as I understand when Baba says, “Darshan time… when you have darshan, you receive My grace!” … Probably receiving His grace is receiving His love in that form. He said there are 2 other colours which he rarely found only in extremely great people. Ha, that is: gold and silver. – Wow!
In the case of Baba, he says they were few feet thick. – Wow. – Baranowski sits down. Then bhajans start. Boys start singing bhajans. I mean bhajans go on. They continue till Swami stops the bhajan. Swami stops the bhajan and then we have aarti. Here we have a person who has just come first. Suddenly he gets up in the middle of the bhajan, goes to Swami seated there and tells something to Swami. – Hm.
– Swami says, “Stop the bhajan”. Tells the boys, “Stop the Bhajan” and he’s… he gets up to speak. He says, “I took Baba’s permission to interrupt this. I wanted to tell you that as this bhajan is going on, Baba’s aura is expanding, enveloping each and everyone with that love!” – Wow!
– In fact, I think he made this momentous statement. First time, I think we have heard that. “Baba is love walking on two feet!”
– Walking on two feet! Love walking on 2 feet! – Wow…
– He was so overwhelmed! – Amazing, amazing!
– He has also created a device, a pendulum hanging by a special thread, a… metal ball hanging by a thread which he holds. He went round the students. Swami asked him to interact with the students. So he went around with the students. “This pendulum can measure the aura of a person”. – Oh wow!
– “By swinging away from the person!” -Aha.
– He says, he shared with us… outside afterwards that he stood in darshan in Prasanthi Nilayam. Swami was giving darshan… he stood near the east Prasanthi where the students stay; East Prasanthi. – Hmm
– Quite far away! – Yes! He said that I held it, the pendulum swung some where… Just went off… – Amazing!
– That is Baba’s power! I still remember those days. Whenever Swami used to be in Brindavan, He used to… we used to have Nagarsankirtan on Thursdays and Sundays. In fact, the students and teachers will go outside, devotees also separately. – Okay.
– Students separately will go outside for Nagarsankirtan to Kadugodi or sometimes towards the other site. Go to a nearby village, come back and the… the… what do you call, the reward for that… used to be the darshan. As we enter the gate often we’ll find Swami waiting… There used to be a balcony here. -Ha, in the old bungalow.
– Balcony… Just below the balcony, there was a door which led to the interview room in those days. Now we see that bridge and the mot here. That was the interview room there and above that in the open terrace, Swami used to come, climb a few steps so that He will be visible to everybody. From the open terrace He used to give darshan. And that was something memorable and really treasurable! In the early morning you can visualize – Yes.
– semidark… and no lights – Yes.
– and Swami in that glorious… in that aura red robe – Yes
– and those who are gifted could see that aura around Him, flash of light around Him. In fact, Baranowski, when he first saw the aura in darshan, he looked around to check whether any halogen light has been put displayed on Him. – Okay…
– It was that very bright! – Wow! So that was the beauty of it. I remember my mother used to come after the Nagarsankirtan darshan, “Hey, did you see that aura, flood of light? Today it was so much!” – Oh wow!
– It is much before the invention of Baranowski, the discovery of Baranowski or the invention of Kirlian photography… There were devotees who are gifted… who can see that aura. Now, I was speaking about the Narendra, the Principal – Yes.
– who met him. – Yes. -I have an interesting story to tell about him.
– Please… Now, let me present the value of darshan, – Okay!
– or the meaning of darshan a different manner. – Sure.
– He had just come to Brindavan first time. He has been a devotee. So, he came for darshan, and luckily for him, it was Nagarsankirtan darshan. – Oh, his first darshan! – First darshan.
– … his first darshan in Brindavan. -Oh, amazing! Now, when… any devotee who was very eager to have darshan had only one goal: to be as close to Swami as possible. – Yes.
– So rush forward; catch the first row. – Yes. Be in the first row. So he also thought, by being in the first row of this Nagarsankirtan… actually bhajan singers used to be there. He somehow squeezed through them.
– Okay. – He thought he could be right in the front and have Swami’s darshan…
– See Swami as close as he can. So he entered. The Nagarsankirtan party entered form here. He was right in the front excited about having darshan. Swami had just come out. He came but to his horror he found, as more and more people from behind, they kept pushing. They also wanted to come in. – Oh… okay.
– As they kept pushing… he got pushed and pushed… he was right under the sunshade under the balcony. -Oh my God!
– Under the balcony totally hidden from sight. So when he looks up there is only the sunshade.
– He was facing the wall. Suddenly he was facing the wall.
– Oh my God! So he did a wise thing. He writes in a … he wrote an article in a college souvenir… The title of that one is – “Mirrored in a million eyes”.
– Mirrored in a million eyes! – Oh wow!
– So, he writes there after quoting this. After writing this, he says, ” I just quietly turned around. I could not see Baba directly but I see Baba reflected in those thousand, million… thousand eyes before me… hundreds of eyes. Eyes filled with desire, filled with anticipation, worries and there I could see Baba. These eyes were filled with Him and they changed. – Wow.
– I think we can say that having darshan is not merely we seeing with our physical eyes. – Yes.
– He used to see Bhagawan in the eyes of others. – Wow.
– That is seeing Bhagawan in others. – Amazing! Probably that is also darshan!!